
The covers of every Spanish newspaper express the fiction and non-fiction that imitate life in every spectrum. We talk about the game from a perspective of opulence and excess as we enter the second go-around for Florentino Perez at Real Madrid.
Is it prudent?
I mean there is so much information overload with contradicting information. Pérez is willing to fork over €65 million for Kaká, another €80 million for Cristiano Ronaldo, €30 million for Franck Ribery and Xabi Alonso, and another €100 million for the Valencia's big three.
For those of you nuts that think the rest of the newspaper is what protects the sports section on a rainy day, check out the rest. Unemployment in Spain is almost at 15%. Four and half million Spaniards are out on the street, but Barcelona considered getting Zlatan Ibrahimovic. A million and a half homes in Spain do not have a breadwinner to depend on them.
Unemployment is on the rise, consumption is down, investments are down, savings are non-existent. Yet Messi and Josep Guardiola are set for multi-million euro raises. At the same time in Madrid, the homeless are more and more visible.
El País had a great article written by Benjamín Prado regarding the precipice in which the game is falling into. There is this bubble that the game is developing. No longer is it the sport that imitates life. No longer is it a game that is the mirror of sociopolitical. What good is it going to be for Real Madrid to get so many stars if half of their club members can´t even pay their dues, which are eventually going to go up. Come on do you think that things are going to stay the same? Do you think that there will be just good times free spending without consequences? ¨At the rate things are going, Real Madrid's players will have to go to Paseo La Castellana if they would like to be seen by their fans. These players have to live their lives juggling a ball while their fans have to live their lives juggling their salaries.¨
I am not throwing stones in the glass house on the other side of the pond. It´s just that the sports scene is very reminiscent of what is going on here as well. It's a sign of the times, I guess, and petulance and grandiosity are part of big sports enterprises these days.
I football is a passion to me. It is the fifth or sixth love of my life; but I am not naïve. The game is no longer what it was when I child. The romanticism of days gone by is no longer there. Sometimes I long for those days because I felt the innocence behind the game back then. Now we are all pawns to the interests of those few that have taken some of the joy away. Yet still I am a sucker for the game; looking to relive that passion over and over again.



