Español
m

Beyond the Pitch: Larissa Riquelme

Posted by Juan Arango 7.04.2010


If there was a bummer to this entire World Cup is that Paraguay did not win.  Yes, you heard me.  Of course, I would have loved to have seen a South American side come and represent in the World Cup semis.

Obviously, there were lots of reasons why.  But my reasons started and ended with two words- Larissa Riquelme.  The Paraguayan bombshell made a promise that made the Albirroja a fan favorite in South Africa. 

She made a daring proposition, well maybe not for her, by saying that if Paraguay won... she would get naked.  If those weren't words of motivation for the players, man there was little hope for them. I guess that really turned the tables for anyone who had a team they were rooting for.  At least Paraguay got into the mix that way.

Paraguay must have jumped over Argentina in the faves list that moment she uttered that proposition.   Oh, like you really wanted to see Diego Maradona running around Buenos Aires in the buff?  I don't care if you are an Argentina fan or what have you- you would have appreciated him keeping that gray suit on.

I think I could go as far as saying that maybe even some Spaniards would have not minded losing to them.   Ok, that might be a stretch... but it would have softened the blow. 

Unfortunately for us, Paraguay lost in an exciting match 1-0 against Spain. Regardless I still think that Uruguay will be representing this side of the Atlantic very well, if I may say so.  Thank God for the internet... that's one thing we can all agree on... right?



World Cup Commercials

Call Simply Futbol

SF Partners

Audio Player

Newsodrome

Newsodrome - Niche News, Top Stories